People say SRK took a big risk and was really brave in making a 150 Crore movie. What’s brave about being the KING and flaunting one’s power? The real power is in being a Joker and putting it all on the table. Himesh, whose last film got a release in only one theatre for one show (Kajrare) and who had all but disappeared, not only released Damaadam under his own Production but also released it with the most expensive movie in the history of Bollywood (Ra.One). Now that’s what I call is being brave!
I know what you must be thinking. Why did I, in heaven’s name, watch this movie? Well, DUGHHHH, it was to have an amazing time! And how much fun did I have? DUGGHHHH… My jaw needed to be iced after the show, coz it was paining so badly. No, I didn’t get into a fight. I just couldn’t stop laughing!
Ok. So there is a funny movie, there is a hilarious movie, there is howlarious movie and then there is a Himelarious movie! And this movie is freaking insane. And it’s not about the dumb storyline (penned by his Himeshness himself), nor about mediocre direction and camerawork. It’s about the little ReshamiYUMMS :
1) His pout and facial expressions – It’s as if a Tom and Jerry show is playing on his face!
2) The mind numbingly original and inventive song on MANGO ( yes, Mango – the fruit. Maybe that’s Himesh’s jibe at the KING :P) Seriously, you have to watch it to believe it.
3) A storyline which is the first unintentional Romantic Thriller in the history of cinema. You just don’t know where Himesh will take it next! And logic be damned. Logic itself gets confused when Himesh starts writing!
4) The brilliant “Madhusaala” song that had half the theatre (off the 3/4th that filled the theatre) dancing their hats off and half, rolling on the floor with laughter!
5) And finally – Umrao Jaan. Need I say any more?
When was the last time you saw people fighting over a seat to watch the movie? When was the last time you saw a bunch of friends scampering in and disappointed that they missed the beginning of the show (not because they missed the movie, but because they missed out on some genuine fun)? When was the last time you saw the whole theatre shout “MADHUSAALA MAIN” and doing the step the actors are doing on the screen? Well, I saw it during Dumaadum and it was genuinely pure and unadulterated fun!
You were looking elsewhere for a Diwali Dhamaka guys, when the asli dhamaka was playing elsewhere! It was playing in the empty theatre where a bunch of people were having the time of their lives. It was playing where a CAP was seen even though it wasn’t shown on screen.
If ever there was a cure for APATHY and SADNESS in this world, this is it. DAMAADAM is a cult classic to say the least. Do not miss it for the world. Call up your best friends, wear flexible pants, exercise your facial muscles and go now. No need to book seats, you won’t be occupying them for most part of the film anyways. You would be busy ROFLing! Madhusaala main khoya Madhusaala main!
Rating : WHAT RATING? Himesh ends... where others Begin :P