Well, it was not as if I did not know what I was getting into. These films are not made for the discerning. It’s made for the Paisa Vasool Crowd. But I think even in the Masala Category, this is a massive disappointment. Dabangg or for that matter, even Singham was better. This film is downright poor. And let’s see why.
What is the formula of a 100 Crore + Collection, Box Office Hit, South India Inspired Masala Film ?
· Useless Storyline (Check) – This one’s more numb-brained than even BodyGuard.
· A Fit, Muscle crunching Superstar (Check) – Akshay Kumar – twice over!
· Hard Hitting Dialogues (Uncheck) – Extremely poorly written dialogues, with no impact. No Matter how forcefully Akshay delivers it, it just fall’s flat.
· Some good hearted Buffoonery (Uncheck) – Well, the comedy goes from the ridiculous to the lame.
· An easy breezy, dim-witted love story (Check) – Yes… This one’s as dim-witted as it gets.
· Some awesome, jhatkedaar songs (Uncheck) – Substandard songs just waste your time.
· 1 HOT HOT HOT Item Number (Uncheck) – Well…. You know there is none worth talking about.
· A Memorable Villain (Uncheck) – Undoubtedly the lamest, the most forgettable bunch of Villains.
· Some brilliant action (Check and Uncheck) – Bloody, Gory to the core, but nothing new or exceptional.
Quiet frankly, Akshay Kumar tries his best, but falls short in dialogue delivery. His buffoonery is good, but his firm, hard hitting dialogue-baazi is suspect. Sonakshi’s character is so poorly written that she herself doesn’t know if she is a cutezy girl or rowdy herself.
Sadly, this film also stars 2 people I have played cricket with as a child in Lokhadwala. Akshay was then “Raju Bhaiya” and used to play underarm cricket, with amazing rules like 1st floor 1 run, 2nd floor 2 runs, so on and so forth. And then there was Amit Tiwari urf Anna, the left handed power-hitter with a unquenchable thirst for hitting the ball into the gutters. Akshay stars as the rowdy himself, and Anna plays the idiot son of the villain, who rapes women and acts like a lunatic….. Wish both had better roles… They deserve much better. This was down-right ludicrous…
In the film, Akshay often goes “Main jo Bolta hun, who karta hun… Jo nahi bolta.. who toh zaroor karta hun”. How you wish “Naa woh kuch bol paata.. naa toh kuch kar paataa..” It’s a pure waste of time. Rowdy Rathore… Ekdum Strongly Bore…
Rating: 2 / 10 ( 1 for Anna and 1 for simply getting me nostalgic ) ( And I am being generous)